With the weather being unusually amazing, dining outside has never been more attractive. If you don’t fancy a steak dinner delivered directly to your door by The Stone Grill, how about making this steak salad recipe? It’s light, easy to make and takes less than 15 minutes to prepare. That’s more time in the sunshine!
I have two recipes here. One a simple onion and tomato salad and the other a more complex spicy ginger lime salad. Both are delicious!
Onion and Tomato steak salad
- 2 sirloin steaks 200g each in size
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 3-4 ripe tomatoes, finely sliced
- 5 basil leaves
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- A squeeze of lemon
- Heat a griddle pan under a medium heat. Brush the steaks with the olive oil and season to taste with the salt and pepper.
- Cook the steaks for a couple of minutes each side. Cook 3-4 minutes for medium, 2-3 for medium rare or to taste.
- Rest the steaks for 3 minutes while you prepare the salad.
- Combine the red onion, tomatoes, basil and olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Squeeze over the lemon.
- Plate up the steak and add the salad to the side. Then enjoy!
This is a super simple steak salad that should have the taste buds going.
Ginger and Lime steak salad
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp minced red jalapeño chilli
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp medium-dry sherry
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp (packed) brown sugar
- 1 sirloin steak, trimmed, cut into cubes
- 2 bunches watercress, cut into 5cm lengths
- Torn lettuce leaves (about 6 large)
- Thai basil leaves, cut into 5cm wide strips
- ½ cucumber, halved lengthwise, sliced very thinly
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 medium-size red onion, cut into thin wedges
- 2 shallots, sliced into thin rounds
- 1/4 medium pineapple, peeled, cored, halved lengthwise, cut crosswise into 3cm slices
- Combine all the dressing ingredients into a bowl and blend.
- Add the oyster sauce, sherry, soy sauce, minced garlic, and brown sugar in a medium bowl. Marinate steak up to 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Combine watercress, mizuna, lettuce, basil, cucumber, and tomatoes in large bowl. Add half of dressing and toss to cover.
- Sauté the onions and shallots for 30 seconds. Add the steak along with the marinade. Cook steak until to your taste. Add the pineapple and heat through for 1 minute.
- Plate up the salad, add the steak and pour over cooking juices. Drizzle with remaining dressing and serve.